Scent Detection Classes
Scent Detection is the newest and fastest growing sport activity for dogs and their owners. Through our classes you will learn how to develop your dog's natural scent ability to search for specific target odours by their love of toys, food and exercise. This fun sport is open to all dogs regardless if they are dog reactive, fearful, senior, or have physical limitations.
We make searching fun by engaging the dog in a game where they have to use their nose to search for target odours. We will show you, the handler how to motivate, handle, read and reward the dog. The training is simple and fun for everyone from the most novice dog handler to the most seasoned trainer.
Scent Detection is a great activity that will help strengthen the bond between dog and the handler as well as builds confidence, provides mental and physical energy and best of all is FUN!
What to bring:
- Lots of small high value smelly doggy treats such as Blue bites, Zukes, pea sized piece of cooked wiener or chicken. You will need about a cup worth of treat. Please bring more treats if your dog is large and you are feeding larger treats.
- 6-10 foot leash and a flat collar or harness.
Intro to Scent Detection and Odour
Your ability to work as a team in a scent detection search will enhance the relationship and refine the communication you already share with your dog.
· Learn the foundations of Nosework.
· Learn how to motivate your dog to search by using their favourite treat or toy.
· Learn how to develop, encourage, handle, read, & reward your dog's natural scenting ability.
· Learn techniques and tactics in building strong dog and handler teamwork.
· Learn how to pair up target odours.
Cost: includes a wintergreen starter kit.
Length: 6 weeks Jan 5, 12, 19, 26 Feb 2, 9
Location: Sardis, Chilliwack BC (we will e-mail you the address & details)
COST $160 + 8.00 GST
Continuing Odour -
· Continue to develop the handler's skills.
· Introduce dogs to additional target odours and train them to search for target odours!
· Advanced searches that include container, interior, and exterior searches.
· Advance to off-leash Nosework that focuses on more challenging training situations
Prerequisite - Introduction to Nosework and Odour - dog must be on odour
Tuesday 8-8:45pm OR Wednesday 7-7;45pm
Jan 4/5, 11/12, 18/19. 25/26 Fen 1/2, 8/9
COST $150 + 7.50 GST